Thursday, October 9, 2008
Can't keep quiet any longer...judge me if you must.
So as many of you know I am a democrat and a liberal one at that. I am apposed to guns in the home, I believe in a tax cut for the middle class and I am for equal rights. Recently one big issue has been on a lot of peoples minds. As many of you know I am an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints AKA Mormon. As a member of this religion we have certain values and beliefs that make us unique to the rest of the world. We chose to live chaste lives away from addictive substances and focus on family values. Well a current issue has been brought to my attention that I can't keep quiet about. Many of you I know will judge me for this, but this is my blog and that means I can say what I want. The issue has been on Proposition 8. A ban against same sex marriages in the state of California. I am AGAINST this proposition. 61% of registered California voters voted against legalizing same sex marriage in the sate of California, but when this was brought to the supreme court they over through it and allowed marriage in California to be recognized as a civil union between two partners. As a member of my religion I believe that marriage is to be ordained of God and between a man and a women. I do believe that, I also believe every child has a right to be born into a home with a loving mother and father, however this is only what my faith/religion believes. We also believe that a marriage can be sealed for time and all eternity with those who have proper authority. Yet I also believe that one of our articles of faith says that we are to obey the laws of the land. This country was built on the freedom of religion and equality. I do not believe that anyone has the right to take away anyone else's rights. I do believe that those who struggle with same sex attractions are facing something I will never understand. But I do not, I repeat DO NOT support free agency being taken way from anyone in our society. If two men or two women are in love and wish to civilly be married who are we to step in and take away their rights, because we as a religion do not consider it a "marriage". Well we also see a marriage outside of the temple that isn't performed under the proper authority to be only a till death do you part issue, so why don't we stop marriages that are not preformed under the proper authority? Why don't we ban single women from raising children? Why don't we stand up against adoption to a single parent? Why don't we ban unmarried couples from living together? We don't make issues about these things because everyone has their own free will and choices. Men and women have the freedom to live how they will and act how they will. Punishing someone for wanting to not be alone in this life is wrong. Taking freedoms away from people because of their race, religion or sex is wrong. I have gay friends and I love them, I want them to be happy in life. I know they are searching for stability in these crazy times. They are wanting normalcy and are wanting to be accepted and loved. I do not agree with the gay life style but I will not be the one to cast the first stone, we all suffer challenges in this life and some we may never overcome, but punishing them because they are different then us is wrong. I believe there is too little love in this world, and taking it away from people is wrong, where ever the find it. We need to start building our economy and stop putting millions of dollars into trying to stop gay marriage and put that money into the hands of people who have lost their homes, people who are searching for just one more meal. In the end what matters is what we individually believe when we are judged, stand up for what you believe in but don't condemn people for what they believe. I will gladly stand and say that I support our supreme court and I support our legislature is continuing to seek freedom for our nations people and I will appose proposition 8.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know you don't know who I am, but you are AWESOME!!! I found your blog while surfing.....(blog-to-blog, etc.) (Don't think I am creepy!) My name is Tammy and I am from Idaho. We are also LDS. And as you know most of 'us' are staunchly conservative. I consider myself a conservative-liberal. Chris, my husband, is a little more liberal. Chris and I believe the EXACT same way as you with prop8. I have had this 'discussion' with a few members of my family and I want them to read your post, because you put into words EXACTLY what I am thinking!!! Thank you for your thoughts!
So I sit here again bored at work! I passed over this once before but I'm glad I actually read through this.
WOW I thought I was the only one who thought this - but you put it so profoundly! It's so true I agree with you a 100%
It's good to know there are other LDS out there that feel the same way! I sure love you! :) You have truly have a good heart and it shows!
Post a Comment