Thursday, September 18, 2008

Catching up


So I was recently thinking of some of the best times in my life and one in particular stuck out to me. I was thinking of when I was younger and how my memories are fading, but a few are still sticking with me. One in particular I will never forget is when I was around the age of 10 my sister Bree-Anna and I were sitting around bored. My mom was busy inside cooking and my father was outside building an addition to our house (another porch). My dad is one of the most creative men I know. He thought it would be helpful if my sister and I helped him out. Well, we were no good at hammering or building, but he did tell us for ever nail we picked up out of the yard we would get a nickel for it. This didn't sound interesting to us till my dad showed us how we could go about finding nails in the yard that badly needed to be mowed. He handed each of us a fishing poll. At the end of the line was a magnet and as we cast out into the yard we would reel in about 2 to 3 nails each time. This was my first fishing experience. As soon as we found just about all the nails in the yard and had earned a whooping $3 each, we were again bored. My dad was hard at work thinking of a way my sister and I could spend our hard earned $6. He left on a walk around our block and came across the neighbors garage sale (that was every weekend for 12 years, no lie), and came home with the GREATEST toy ever! He pulled this gold thing out of a box and ran into the garage and came back out with the shop vacuum. He proceeded to fill the gold thing with air. It wasn't till it was all the way blown up that we realized that it was a water bed, but some how he was a genius and thought to fill it with air and not water. He showed us how to fly with it. He had us sit on one side (as easy as it is to balance on a water bed full of air) where we sat patiently and little did we know he would come barreling towards the back side and we were ejected into the air. This water bed became known as "The Gold Thing" and kids were lining up to hop on and get thrown into the air. Also it was great for king of the mountain (in our case queen). It was even fun when we brought it to the river and we would jump out of the trees onto it (well off of it). That was one of the best summers of my life. There was only one broken arm and a lot fun. Over the years it got worn out and lost a lot of its air...and as for most new toys we lost interest in it, but I still sometimes wonder where the gold thing is and if I am to old to be "Queen of the Mountain".

2 comments:

Hallenbergers said...

Great memory! How fun that would have been! I like the whole fishing pole idea!! Thanks for sharing...

Jamie Cheatham said...

Oh my this is awesome! I have to say your blog has given me some great morning reading - this sure beats the news paper!

I love your stories! Your dad is a genius! It must run in the family! ;) wink wink

These are great stories! Definitely worth archiving such as you have! :)