Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Adaptation or Evolution?


So the past few days I have been thinking a lot about my life...which is easy to do when I am the only one in it:) And I have been thinking about the past few years well the past 28 years of my life and I was wondering if we or I are more of an adapter or an evolver. I was explaining to my 15 year old that I nanny about the creation and we started talking about evolution and I shared with her what we as members of the Church of Jesus Christ believe and then what a lot of the world believes. I told her about how many many years a go wolves (a certain breed I am unsure of) lived in the deserts and then through time as the weather in the deserts got hotter the wolves migrated north to Wyoming and Montana and how that was a type of adaptation, and even though they may look different now then they did there(ie thicker pelts) they didn't not evolve they adapted. This got me thinking about my own life and how I have come to know myself and who I am. I hope that in some ways through getting older I have evolved into a smarter person who knows right from wrong and who makes educated choices. I also think that in some ways I have adapted to my surroundings. While I lived in Utah I adapted to the safe lifestyle everyone has there and now that I am in Vegas I don't have to think twice about locking my doors because I have adapted to the reality of living here. How about the friends that I have? When they present me with tough choices do I Adapt to what I think might be the right choice or have I evolved enough to KNOW what is right? I would hope that as questions come to our lives as to what we adapt to and what we evolve into that when it comes to gospel things we are striving if not yet evolved to what choices are RIGHT. Like in the scriptures how the brother of Jared no longer had to hope that some thing was true he came to the knowledge and KNEW it. It all just gets me thinking of how important it is that we EVOLVE into the creatures we are meant to be and we don't just adapt. When the times comes that I have to stand before my maker I pray I can say I have evolved into the person you knew I had the potential to become and not that I have adapted to my circumstances just because it was what everyone else was doing or it SEEMED like the right thing, but that I KNEW. We live lives and face challenges often and we are who we are because of those challenges we can either Know they are for our good or hope they are. I KNOW I am where I am now because God knows me better then I know myself and with that knowledge life goes on through thick and thin...it goes on. My mom always says...The scriptures say "it came to pass", not it came to stay.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Hey beautiful! You are so funny and I just love reading your blog. It makes me feel like you are still close to me. :o) Well... my friend tagged me, so now I am tagging you. Read my blog for the rules. Love ya!