Sunday, August 10, 2008

Vacation











Well the time came for me to take a little trip...and this year it was all by myself. On August 6th I left Las Vegas at 5am and caught a plane to St.Louis Missouri. I arrived around 12:20 their time, and grabbed my rental car and my adventure began. I traveled the 196 miles north to Fort Madison. Along my way I was awe struck by the beauty of Missouri and Illinois and Iowa. Never have I seen such a beautiful lush place. Along my rout I came across the town of Hannibal, where Mark Twain is from. I spent most of my afternoon there going on little tours of his home and where he was inspired to write such novels as Huck Fin. I took pictures of the town but I did that on my disposable camera, so those will be up shortly. I couldn't drive more then 25 miles with out stopping and taking pictures of the landscape and all that there is to offer in Illinois. I arrived in Fort Madison shortly after sun set and got my hotel room and explored the great Fort Madison and saw where George Washington had been and what he had done there, also I could see Nauvoo just right over the Mississippi river and was excited about my next days adventure. This town was sooo small, almost as small as Satsop where I grew up. I was exhausted early and took of to sleep...little did I know what the next day would have for me. I woke up at 7am Iowa time...which is 5am Vegas time. I crossed the Mississippi River to Nauvoo, and went to the Nauvoo temple. It is more beautiful then I imagined, I just stood in awe as I looked at the out side and the view of the Mississippi river. I even missed the first session because I was spending so much time admiring the place. I finally did catch the next session and it was AMAZING! When I was done I went to the Visitors center and found out what kind of things I could expect to happen while I was there and was told of a few activities. My first stop was at the Pageant office, because a dear friend of mine had introduced me to one of the pageant directors and told me that I needed to meet here while I was there. I went in and asked for Linda and I was welcomed with open arms. Every one in the office was so excited to meet me and had so many wonderful things to tell me. It was a blessing meeting so many amazing people. My next stop was at Heber C. Kimball's house where my greeny from the mission (a senior sister) was serving. I surprised her and we reminisced and talked about her time in Nauvoo. I then made my way to lunch and ate on temple grounds with the temple at my back and the BEAUTIFUL Mississippi river in front of me. When I was finished I went on a wagon ride. It took us to inspiration point and it was a VERY spiritual experience as we sang I am a child of God in the grove there. As we sat there I thought about my life and what had led me to that point and how I have had so many amazing spiritual experiences and yet have always been alone in my experiences. I felt lonesomeness in being the only active member in my family, not having the people I love the most sharing in the beautiful good news of the gospel. I remembered how all the convents I have made in my life were all by myself, and that I had a great work to do with my family. I wasn't sad just pensive. As the night came closer I headed over to the Nauvoo pageant and I was entertained by the Pre-show, where there were activities like stick pull and dancing and all other such things. I spent most of my time at the dance floor where they taught me dancing from the 1800's. It was sooo fun! I have a friend named Paul Cartwright who was actually in the pageant this year. He played Robert Laird a man who was finding out about the gospel while in Nauvoo. I did get to see him for a few minuets while I was there...I feel like I owe him a lot of having been in the pageant because I think had he not been I might have canceled my trip because every one else kept bailing on me. Well the pageant was amazing and some how I scored Amazing seats by the pageant director and cried my eyes out the whole time. When it was over I was surrounded by amazing people and we talked about the awesome spirit there. I even met a distant cousin named Kim Smith, also a descendant from Joseph Smith. She and I hit it off so well she offered for me to stay at her place for free (She lives in Nauvoo) and to take me on personal tours of Nauvoo so that I get the whole experience. The next day I was up early with here and we were watching a few movies the visitor center had to offer and going to a few little shows that the pageant preformed. The people who were serving in Nauvoo had such a special spirit about them and it was WONDERFUL. I again went to the pageant that night and kept meeting tons of amazing people. One of the coolest things I saw while in Nauvoo was something not to many people know about. It was recently purchased by the church after its discovery. It is a tomb that the church believes may be the resting place they were to put the prophet after his martyrdom. It was all closed off but it was a 2 room tomb like the Saviors, needless to say everything there was INCREDIBLE. On Saturday I went and visited Carthage jail and that was a GREAT ending to my amazing tirp. I came home Saturday afternoon exhausted but with a new out look on life. Many of my prayers were answered while I was in Nauvoo. It was the first time that I truly didn't feel alone in my endeavors in the gospel. I felt the presence of Heavenly Father and knew he would never forsake me. The feelings I felt there I will never forget and will always cherish. I hope to go back again next year and hopefully bring my family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abs! sound like a fun trip. Also, you are welcomed to come visit anytime you want. You can stay with us and I'll show you all the sights :)

Hallenbergers said...

WOW what a trip...good for you!!! I am jealous, someday we will have to take a trip together, just me and you DUDE!!!

((HUGS))

Tracy said...

Looks like so much fun, I wish I could have gone with you!